sábado, 26 de diciembre de 2020

Christmas in Havana -Circa 1950’s



 I have never - EVER-experienced again the powerful & joyous Christmas atmosphere that I lived in Havana! 

Delightful, so very crowded and happy,  Christmas music, carols or villancicos , amazing smells of street food vendors, Xmas lights all over,  “crèches” or Nacimientos,  beautiful store windows.   And the divine garlicky smell of crispy roast pork all over the city!  

The amazing “Pan con Lechón” sold by street vendors....And the ever present “fritas” from the street “friteros” Scrumptious -albeit my ever careful (and a bit snobbish) mother never allowed us to eat street food! 

The city felt electric with the most joyous feeling.! And seeing the  enthusiastic mix of people -of all colors & economic backgrounds- having fun, shopping & laughing - was such a natural part of the season.  I miss so much those Cuban Christmas that I enjoyed so much.  And I am sorry MC & Miren never knew them ! 

#cubanchristmas  #athingofthepast  #memoriesilove